[English]Pop English in US-4

[English]Pop English in US-4

Pop English in US.

Dialogue:

美国流行口语

紐約有許多酒吧都是愛爾蘭移民開的。今天Michael要帶李華去看一個酒吧。Michael在講話裡會用兩個常用語:to bum 和 turn-off。
L: 哇!這裡好熱鬧喔!Michael,在愛爾蘭酒吧裡大家都喝些什麼呢?

M: People normally drink a large beer that is usually served warm.

L: 啊~?我可從來沒喝過熱的啤酒,一大杯也喝不完,那~要一小杯行不行呀?

M: Well, you can order whatever you want, but I need to bum a couple of dollars, if you don’t mind.

L: 隨便我要什麼都行呀!那好,就來一小杯。疑?對了,你剛才說要是我不在意的話,你想bum a couple of dollars, 那是什麼意思啊?

M: What I mean is, can I borrow a couple of dollars from you.

L: 哦~,原來你要問我借兩塊錢!

M: Yes. Bum, b-u-m, But don’t use this word for big things. For example, you would not ask your friend, “Can I bum your car?”
L: 哦~,在問別人借大的,像是汽車之類的東西時,就不能用bum這個字了,那~,bum 只能用在問人借小東西的時候。
M: Yeah, it’s usually used when asking for something small, like a piece of gum or candy.

L: 哎喲,你們美國人,怎麼一片口香糖、一顆糖還要借啊?難道真的還要還呀?

M: No, small things you don’t need to return, such as gum and candies.

L: 這很重要,因為在這種情況下,我們中國人就不說借了,我們大概會說:吔,給一顆糖吧。
M: You are right Li Hua. But if you feel cold at a friend’s home and you asked to bum a sweater, then you would return it when you were going to leave.

L: 對喔,要是在朋友家覺得冷想借一件毛衣,那一般都應該還的。所以這還得看情況,對不對?
M: Yes, if you will let me bum a couple bucks tonight, I promise to pay you back tomorrow.

L: 行行行,就借你兩塊錢,吔,你向服務員要酒吧,我來付錢。吔,可明天別忘了還我喔。

M: Okay. Two beers please!
………………………………..
L: 我以前啊,有一個朋友,每次跟她一起出去,不管是看電影,還是去喝咖啡,她總是向我借錢。

M: A girl I used to hang out with acted the same way. Whenever a group of us went out, she would always ask to bum money. It got to be a real turn-off.

L: 你也碰到過這種人呵!吔,等等,a real turn-off? 這是什麼意思呀?你要把什麼東西給關掉啊?

M: No, a turn-off is something that repels someone. Turn-off, t-u-r-n, – , o-f-f.

L: 哦喔,就是一個讓人討厭的什麼東西。那~是不是指一個人的性格裡有什麼地方讓你不喜歡他呢?

M: Yes, that’s right. Let me give you an example. Your ex-boyfriend always smoked cigarettes around you, that was a real turn-off.

L: 就是啊,我以前那個男朋友啊,跟我在一塊兒的時候,老是抽煙,真是很討厭。

M: A girl I once dated always interrupted me whenever I was talking. That was a real turn-off.

L: 對對對,我記得你告訴過我,你以前的女朋啊老是打斷你的話,讓你很討厭。嗯,我還有一個朋友啊,他把髒衣服在房間裡到處亂扔,that was also a turn-off.

M: See, you’ve learned how to use turn-off. By the way, I also have dirty clothes lying around my apartment. Does that bother you?

L: 哼~?你也把髒衣服到處亂扔啊?你要是不打掃乾淨的話,別想請我到你家去。
M: Ok, I’ll try to clean it up.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語,一個是: to bum,意思是借錢或者是其他東西;另一個是:a turn-off,意思是讓人討厭的地方

Leave a Reply