- Applies systems level technical expertise and language ability in quickly resolving standard to moderately complex systems level customer issues.
- Provides resolutions to an assortment of problems of moderately complex scope and uses judgement within defined practices and procedures.
- Works as a member of a team to provide support and expertise for both pre and post sales support activities for EMC products.
- Able to communicate effectively in language of country primary support.
- Identifies, records and proactively revises current procedures to improve customer satisfaction.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Applies technical expertise using standard operating and diagnostic protocols to quickly resolve standard to moderately complex system level issues that are negatively impacting product performance at EMC customer sites in support of internal and external customers. Documents and reports design, reliability and maintenance issues.
- Effectively communicates procedural and routine technical issues to internal and external customers in a highly stressful environment. Maintains a “closed-loop” communication style assuring all appropriate individuals are notified of problem resolution status. Responsible for sharing all acquired knowledge concerning problem resolution with remote support personnel, Field and, as appropriate, Customers. Contributes to centralized problem identification and resolution database.
- Participates in problem recreation and failure analysis of systems level problems. Utilizes a wide variety of test equipment, diagnostic tools and techniques used in problem resolution. May provide documentation and direct feedback to Field Technical Specialists, Account Managers, sales and other EMC Technical Support co-workers.
- Identifies the need for and provides input to training programs and/or serviceability enhancements within the Field and Technical Support Departments. Contributes to and reviews training materials and procedural documentation for accuracy.
- Willing to work a 7 day week roster and to be called upon during off-hours to become actively involved in resolving a customer issue. Occasional travel, often on short notice, is expected.
- Communicates effectively in local language to internal and external customers.
- Assist in identifying the need for and development of timely, highly focused and localized training programs. Including both preparation and delivery in local language.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Position prefers a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science/related field or equivalent industry related experience.
- Candidate must demonstrate working knowledge with major software/hardware vendor support methodology and procedures, strong working knowledge of one or more specialty areas within customer support such as Networking, UNIX, Windows, Software and Open Systems Host and reacts quickly to interrupt driven workload and handles multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Candidate must demonstrate excellent customer service skills, organizational, interpersonal communication and presentation skills, including strong sense of urgency, tact and professionalism. Must have the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision and possess excellent research/technical skills.
- Internal candidates should demonstrate specific knowledge of EMC products. Familiarity with Customer Service Technical Support environment is preferred.
- Remote support position
- Willing to work a 7 day week roster
- Occasional travel required for training or to site to support customers who have problems.
- Would be expected to deliver training / share knowledge
- Needs to be able to work as part of a team
- Installation and troubleshooting UNIX environments
- In depth experience of at least two of the following areas:
- Advanced Sun Solaris
- Advanced Hewlett Packard HP-UX
- Advanced IBM AIX
- Advanced Linux (Redhat and SUSE)
- Advanced Tru64
- Advanced OpenVMS
- Knowledge of Mainframe beneficial, but not mandatory
- Knowledge of Clustering
- HP ServiceGuard
- OpenVMS clustering
- Linux Clustering
- Database knowledge (particularly Backup & Recovery)
- Data replication, backup & recovery experience desirable
- Vendor Certification beneficial but not mandatory
- Good working knowledge of IP, iSCSI and fibre channel protocols
- Knowledge of EMC DMX or Clarion storage arrays or connectivity to 3rd party storage arrays.
Recommended Education Required: Bachelors (or
Recommended Experience Required: A minimum of 3 years in a Systems Administrator or equivalent role in the support of two or more of the areas outlined in the Specific Requirements above.
Language Ability: Fluency in English is required and a second language is a distinct advantage.